Many CHWs have asked about professional development opportunities. We have many with the Alliance for CHWs and others willing to volunteer. They make great additions to your resume and may even point your career in a specific direction. All of them provide creative and leadership opportunities and great experience. Here are some of the opportunities:
- The Registry Committee is a place to learn about, support and promote the Minnesota CHW Registry and gain leading edge experience. The Minnesota Registry is one of a very few in the country.
- A related Registry Communications Committee needs members to continue to reach people about the registry. Learn about communications, create short videos, present on the registry, and more. Be part of moving the CHW field forward.
- The Alliance could benefit from a fundraising committee. If someone would like experience in this area, here is a great opportunity to lead a committee and work with others.
- The Legislative Committee will need people to help with planning, organizing, reaching out to legislators and testifying before legislative committees about policies related to health equity. For CHWS considering going into elected office someday, (and I hope that is many of you!) this is great experience.
- The Education committee works with CHW faculty at the schools offering the CHW Certificate Program to constantly update it. CHW perspectives are valued in this process.
- We sometimes need a CHW to assist in facilitating a presentation or group, give a CHW perspective, serve on panels, plan the conference and more. We don’t always know when these requests are coming up and we’ll contact you when they do.
So you see, there is much here that can help you build skills and gain experience while working with colleagues. Much of our work is done through zoom so you can do it wherever you are. If one of these interests you, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Where have CHWs Been, Where are CHWs Going and How Can Organizations Be Ready for Them?
Please join us on zoom for a statewide meeting May 11th from noon to 3 p.m. featuring a presentation and opportunity to engage with Dr. Chidinma Ibe, John’s Hopkins Medical School and CHW Ashlee Harris from Penn Center for CHW.
The meeting will start with reports on work from Minnesota Community Health Worker Alliance Committees and CHW updates from around the state.
After our featured presentation, Where have CHWs Been, Where are CHWs Going and How Can Organizations Be Ready for Them? interested individuals may stay for two breakout groups.
A CHW Circle, facilitated by Angela Fields will include Ashlee Harris as a guest for cross state discussion on CHWs. Dr. Chidinma Ibe will join the CHW Supervisor Roundtable, facilitated by Tara Nelson, CHW and CHW Supervisor, to continue discussion and questions inspired by the presentation.
The Alliance is grateful for funding to support this event from the Medica Foundation.
Click here to register for the May Meeting.
Click the link below for the event flyer and more details!
2021 May Alliance Call Flyer PDF
WellShare is hosting a panel on Community Health Workers and COVID-19: Vaccinations and Resources Panel
Thursday, April 8th, 3:00-4:30 PM CT
Join us on Thursday, April 8 to hear from MDH experts about the COVID-19 vaccines, updated communications resources, and the role of the CHW as we reflect on 1 year into the COVID-19 Pandemic. We will be joined by MDH staff Hinda Omar, a Health Educator Specialist, and Dan-Tam Phan-Hoang, MS, a COVID-19 Communications, Materials, and Media Lead.
Participants will gain the following information about COVID-19 :
1. Learn about COVID-19 vaccination, community education and outreach efforts, including community concerns about vaccinations and COVID-19 prevention
2. Connect with others to discuss experiences discussing vaccinations in our roles as CHWs
3. Add to knowledge about vaccinations in the time of COVID-19 and resources available.
Click here to register.