2018 Statewide Conference
New Horizons in Community Health: Thriving at the Forefront of Health Transformation
2018 Statewide Conference brings together more than 200 community health workers
The 2018 Minnesota Community Health Worker Alliance Statewide Conference brought together community health workers, supervisors, educators, providers, payers, policy makers and many others from across the state for a day of learning, exchange, networking and charting action on next-stage work.
This year’s conference took place at the TIES Conference Center in Falcon Heights on Wednesday, May 23, 2018, from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
- Shira Shavit, MD, Executive Director & Joe Calderon, CHW, Transitions Clinic Network, provided the keynote address, Transitions Clinic Network: Transforming the Healthcare System in Partnership with Justice-Involved Individuals
- Preliminary conversations are beginning about integrating CHWS into work with persons who have been incarcerated
- Geoff Wilkson, MSW from the Boston University School of School Work presented about CHW certification
- The Alliance Public Policy Committee, headed by Dr. Kathleen Call of the University of Minnesota, is leading the efforts to look at and form a work group on certification. If interested in serving on this committee please contact Dr. Call at email@example.com.
- The Alliance is also pleased to have MPH graduate student Cameron Bright who will be a doing a summer field experience on CHW certification and supporting the work of the Alliance’s Public Policy Committee
Please see below for conference PPTs that are available to download, review, and share. Facilitating and applying shared learning is among our conference objectives and one of the ways we help build the field.
Morning Breakout Sessions
- New Frontiers: New Opportunities & Settings for CHW Impact
- Mental Health: Angela Fields, CHW & Jamie Andycha, MPH, People Incorporated [presentation]
- Oral Health: Prasida Kanal, MPH, BDS, Minnesota Dept. of Health [presentation]
- Public Housing: Deqa Adan, CHW, Volunteers of America & Lara Pratt, MPH, Minneapolis Health Dept. [presentation]
- CHWs Beyond the Clinic Walls: Tools and Models
- Home Visiting: Francesse Estima, CHW & Laura Guzman-Corrales, MPH, Hennepin Healthcare [presentation]
- Hospital Pilot: Tara Nelson, CHW, Intercultural Mutual Assistance Association [presentation]
- Community Outreach: Bisharo Farah, CHW & Natalie Marfleet, MBA, HealthFinders [presentation]
- Transition Clinic Network Seminar
- Next-Stage MN CHW Field-Building: Policy & Action
- Will Wilson, MPP, Minnesota Dept. of Health [presentation]
- Geoff Wilkinson, MSW, Boston University School of Social Work [presentation]
- Overview of State and National Developments in the CHW Field, Geoff Wilkinson, MSW, Boston University School of Social Work [presentation]
Afternoon Concurrent Tracks
- Self-Care: Building Resilience [presentation]
- Foua-Choua Khang, CHW, HealthEast & Fairview Health Services
- Amanda Wasielewski, MPH, CHW education consultant
- Trauma Healing
- Billing & Contracting Clinic
- Melissa Bailey, BS, Dakota County Public Health & Laura Ehrlich Sanka, MPH, Wellshare International [presentation]
- CHW Program Evaluation, Documentation, and Measurement
- Emerging Topics:
- The Opioid Crisis & Narcan: What CHWs and supervisors need to know, Peter Carlson, CMAP, MBA, North Memorial Health
- Regional CHW Organizing: Spotlight on Northeast Minnesota
- Seiquayia Morris, CHW, St. Louis County & Mary Rapps, MHA, Generations Health Care Initiatives [presentation]
Closing Plenary Session
Contact Joan Cleary at firstname.lastname@example.org.